Sunday 12 September 2010

Locked in a Library (23rd -27th August)


This past week has been my last in Lindi town and have spent it entirely getting the library renovation project that the Emilys have been predominantly working on ready for the official opening next week.

For the most part, I have been painting blackboards and cleaning the paint off the floor with kerosine. My fingers are blackish grey colour and I'm still picking wire wool out of my fingernails. I had to scrub the floor because some of the paint we used was oil based and therefore couldn't be moved by water alone; it needed to be scrubbed for two days using wire wool, kerosine and my bare hands.

Lots of fun you can imagine.

However, in the end it did look amazing and along with the books READ donated the school already had lots so it actually looks like a proper library. The 'opening' was on Friday and although none of the DEOs or the REO came, many of the teachers and the students came by at the end of school to listen to speeches a few of the teachers thanking us and READ for the work we had done. A few of them even gave speeches themselves thanking us and saying how much it'll improve their education.

We've made a few friends amongst the 6th formers at the school that always seem so eager to talk to us about life in the UK and the difference between it and Tanzania; I had a chat for about twenty minutes with two of them about why the European powers colonised Africa and what British historians had to say on the matter.

A few of them gave us necklaces to say thank you for all the work we were doing which was really sweet and told his to keep in touch when we return to the UK. They had already asked for all our email addresses and a few have added me on Facebook.

Next week we're off to Kilwa to complete the last few distributions and then I'll be going up to Dar for a week before coming home a little earlier than planned on 8th September.

No comments:

Post a Comment